Skip to main content

Is the selfie overtaking the autograph as must-have memorabilia?

My greatest brush with greatness came on April 12, 1987, while attending my first Chicago Bulls game. There was a special promotion where you could have your picture taken with your favorite player before the game. Of course, this is well before the team's championship years, when there was only one player with whom anyone wanted to have his picture taken -- Michael Jordan.

The Cliff's Notes version of the story has me waiting in line for two hours and thankfully getting shuffled into Jordan's line. The Polaroid photograph of a gangly 16-year-old me and His Airness sitting on a table on the baseline at the old Chicago Stadium is one of my most prized possessions. It would be one of the first things I would grab if my house caught fire.

In the wake of meeting my idol, all anyone asked was whether I got his autograph. Why in the world would I need Jordan's autograph? I had photographic evidence that I met him.

For some, collecting autographs of favorite athletes and actors is a hobby -- and it can also be big business. As a youngster, I never really got into collecting autographs. Interestingly enough, the first autograph I ever got was from Camp Point's Rick Reuschel when he appeared in a shoe store in downtown Galesburg in the late 1970s.

These days, it's easier than ever to connect with your favorite athletes and entertainment stars. You can follow them on Twitter and track them via their fan pages on Facebook. Sure, you can get the old-school autograph if you want, but more and more people are asking their favorites to stop and take selfies with them. What a great idea!

A selfie that Quincy's Jamie Ehrhart took with Sergio Garcia at the PGA Championship popped up on my Twitter feed earlier this week. I loathe Garcia for a number of reasons, but the photo of him and Ehrhart made me hate him a little less. Seeing the photo also got me to thinking: Is the selfie the new form of an autograph?

Ehrhart, a standout golfer at Quincy Notre Dame High School who now attends Saint Louis University, knows what she's doing when it comes to the selfie. Her Twitter feed includes selfies of her with Ricky Fowler, Jordan Spieth, Ben Crane, Henrik Stenson, Jason Day and Quincy's own Luke Guthrie. There are older shots of her with Rory McIlroy and Luke Donald.

Ehrhart has also collected autographs along the way. She couldn't decide which was better.
"That's a tough one," she said. "Sometimes they will sign but say they don't have time for a picture. I've been taking pictures with players since I was 9. I print them out and have them sign the picture the next time I go to a tournament."

Donald, who is Ehrhart's favorite golfer, eventually signed the photo she took with him, giving her the best of both worlds.

To me, the selfie is worth more than an autograph. Sure, a photo can easily be doctored with things like Photoshop, but what would possess anyone to fake a selfie with a star? I can see why someone might want to forge someone's signature because that autograph could be sold one day.

The next time I see Michael Jordan, I'll have to ask him to stop for a selfie. When I get it, I guess I'll have to grab my phone, too, in case of a fire.
Article source-- dobrien@whig.com/221-3370

To order my book Autograph Hell, please click HERE
For more information about my Summit Murder Mystery series, please CLICK HERE
Follow me on twitter, HERE
'Like' my Facebook page, HERE
Subscribe to my YouTube channel, HERE and HERE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Helpful collection websites

I have many friends on Facebook that ask what are the best ways to obtain a desired autograph? More specifically I was able to help a woman who wanted an autograph from Meryl Streep. Here are some of the sites I've found to be reputable as well as helpful when looking for information. http://www.autographcollector.com/ http://www.autographworld.com/ http://www.ha.com/

Is the selfie the new autograph?

  By Brent Briggeman Advertisement Every time a fan pulls out a phone and asks Michael McKenry to pose for a selfie, it makes him laugh. It reminds the Rockies catcher of "The Goonies," where one of the young characters created a device that holds the camera out in front of him. "When you think about it, he's the one who invented the selfie stick," McKenry said of the kid in the 1985 film. "And it took all this time for technology to catch up." Technology has caught up, all right. Roughly 100 million selfies are taken daily according to a study from Google, those making up part of the nearly 900 billion photos snapped in a year according to Agence France-Presse. The Internet is filled with surveys that tell what your...

Celebrity Photograph

Here is an autographed picture from when I met the beautiful actress and singer Bobbie Eakes.  Bobbie Eakes is known for her role as Macy Alexander on The Bold and the Beautiful and for her role as Krystal Carey on All My Children .  Eakes received bit roles on nighttime television series, such as Cheers , before becoming successful in the soap opera genre. In the mid-1980s, she was the lead singer of the dance-pop group Big Trouble. The group released one self-titled CD in 1987.   Their single "Crazy World" charted on the U.S. singles chart, reaching #71.  She was also featured on country music singer Collin Raye's 2000 single "Tired of Loving This Way", which peaked at #50 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks charts. Do you have a picture with a singer or actress that you enjoy in your collection?  I would love for you to share it!  Leave a link in the comments! To purchase my book Autograph Hell, click HERE To purchase my new bo...