Skip to main content

A First Taste

'In the early 80’s, I purchased a house across the street from my home in Phoenix, Arizona. The place I bought was a “beater.” The carpet was about 20 years old, the paint was peeling and the plumbing as in serious need of repair. I worked on the house for several months, adding paint, making repairs and just generally bringing it into the Twentieth Century. Then I put it up for sale.
Among the first to look at the house was a couple from Florida. They had just moved to town and were looking a for place to buy. Although they liked what they saw in the house, they didn’t have enough cash for the full down payment.
I thought that would be the end of dealings but it wasn’t. The couple put their heads together and came back with an offer that would change my life. They owned an antiquities store, they said, a place where a person could buy a piece of history. They had antiques, jewelry, old documents and signatures from many of the world’s most famous and interesting people. Would I, they asked, take $30,000 in trade from the store as part of the down payment? I thought about the offer overnight. The real estate market wasn’t that great at the time. There was a glut of houses on the market and if I turned the offer down I could count on owning the property for a long time before I unloaded it. And besides, owning a piece of history didn’t seem like such a bad idea.
The next morning I took the trade.
At the store I was astonished at what I saw. Historic documents were framed beautifully, signed baseballs occupied their own little cubby holes, signed basketball jerseys filled picture frames as large as Shaq’s torso. There were cancelled checks from the rich and famous, signed letters, manuscript pages, basketballs, footballs, boxing gloves, playing cards. Some of the names represented where Charles Darwin, Frank Sinatra, Magic Johnson, Farrah Fawcett, Mick Jagger, President John F. Kennedy and first lady Jackie. The infamous were there, too, including Adolph Hitler, and Evel Knievel. I remember thinking that this was like walking through a museum where you could actually buy the exhibits.
I was hooked....'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Photograph

Here is an autographed picture from when I met the beautiful actress and singer Bobbie Eakes.  Bobbie Eakes is known for her role as Macy Alexander on The Bold and the Beautiful and for her role as Krystal Carey on All My Children .  Eakes received bit roles on nighttime television series, such as Cheers , before becoming successful in the soap opera genre. In the mid-1980s, she was the lead singer of the dance-pop group Big Trouble. The group released one self-titled CD in 1987.   Their single "Crazy World" charted on the U.S. singles chart, reaching #71.  She was also featured on country music singer Collin Raye's 2000 single "Tired of Loving This Way", which peaked at #50 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks charts. Do you have a picture with a singer or actress that you enjoy in your collection?  I would love for you to share it!  Leave a link in the comments! To purchase my book Autograph Hell, click HERE To purchase my new bo...

Helpful collection websites

I have many friends on Facebook that ask what are the best ways to obtain a desired autograph? More specifically I was able to help a woman who wanted an autograph from Meryl Streep. Here are some of the sites I've found to be reputable as well as helpful when looking for information. http://www.autographcollector.com/ http://www.autographworld.com/ http://www.ha.com/

Is the selfie the new autograph?

  By Brent Briggeman Advertisement Every time a fan pulls out a phone and asks Michael McKenry to pose for a selfie, it makes him laugh. It reminds the Rockies catcher of "The Goonies," where one of the young characters created a device that holds the camera out in front of him. "When you think about it, he's the one who invented the selfie stick," McKenry said of the kid in the 1985 film. "And it took all this time for technology to catch up." Technology has caught up, all right. Roughly 100 million selfies are taken daily according to a study from Google, those making up part of the nearly 900 billion photos snapped in a year according to Agence France-Presse. The Internet is filled with surveys that tell what your...