Skip to main content

Have You Become a Collection Hoarder?



Do you ask yourself this question about your autograph collection?  "Should I sell them or not?"  

My thoughts - What is the value of the collectible to YOU? Are you really enjoying the item — or is it just sitting in a box under a pile of junk?

Many collectors wonder... “When should I sell my stuff??” To be honest, I’ve never regretted selling a single item. I don’t miss the item once it’s gone. I’ve owned that item. I’ve enjoyed it for a period of time – and now I can let go of it and move on to the next item.  Remember: There will ALWAYS be another collectible to own. 

Always reevaluate your collection: What do I really want to keep?
The truth is many collectors are simply hoarders. They have TOO MUCH stuff laying around their houses or apartments. I understand this mentality.  Selling off your collection, especially when it is very large, is a long, slow, process.  And you know what? I don’t miss a single thing I’ve ever sold. Collectors are constantly redefining their collections. Hoarders simply want to stockpile material possessions. Which are you?

Here’s my advice to hoarders:
1. Decide what you REALLY want to keep. Do you truly enjoy the collectible or is it sitting in a box somewhere? If you’re not really displaying the item or at least taking it out and looking at it occasionally – get rid of it.

2. Ask yourself this question: Do I really need more than one item autographed by the same person or group?
If you already OWN that person’s autograph – why do you need 100 examples of the same person’s signature?  You probably don’t – unless you are a ‘completest’ (SEE BELOW)

3. What sort of collector are you? Are you a ‘completest’ or simply a casual collector?
Be careful, because the more casual your collection becomes – the more likely it will devolve into a hoarder’s mess. If you are a completest – a person who wants to collect the ‘complete’ collection of a given topic or artist – it probably doesn’t make sense to have autographed items by people in unrelated  fields.  True completests generally focus on one or two subjects. Their collection is more defined. They don’t collect a wide variety of artists across an endless spectrum.  You don’t want to turn into a hoarder, right?

Here’s a clue that you might be a hoarder: Can you sit on your couch or is it too cluttered with autographed items? Is your wife constantly telling you “to sell your mess"?  Has the local Department of Public Safety and Health visited you recently to investigate an odd smell spilling of out your ’collection?’  Are you afraid to have guests over to your place for fear they might fall over your boxes of collectibles and break an ankle? 

If you’ve answered “yes” to any of these questions: you sir, have become a hoarder.

Most collectors arrive at the day when they realize they’ll have to downsize their collection. It’s just the natural progression of collecting.  Sooner of later your house or apartment reaches its limitations.  If you’ve clearly defined what exactly you’re collecting - it will be easier to depose of the stuff that doesn’t fit into those parameters.

Remember, its okay to let go of your autographs: allow other fans to enjoy those amazing items. Share the joy!!

If you want to stop hoarding: Refine and Define – that’s my advice.

To order your copy of Autograph Hell, please click HERE

*article found on hollywoodautographnews.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Preserve your Autographed Photo Collectables

I came across this article and thought it was a good one to share!  We all know that preserving your photos is very important!  What is the point of collecting autographs if the photos become faded and start to deteriorate in a few years because you don't handle them properly?  Take a look at these autograph preservation tips! 1. Acid free is the way to go - Whether you choose plastic bags, cardboard folders or frames to display your autographs, you need to make sure that the material you use is acid free. Standard bags, folders and frames are made with materials that release acids over time. These acids can make your photographs and other memorabilia fade and disintegrate. Make sure that the products that you buy to store your autographs is clearly labeled acid-free. If the package doesn't specify that, don't trust it with your photos. 2. Keep humidity low - Humidity causes moisture which can be devastating to paper products like photographs. To keep your a

Baseball Autograph Collector Gives to Charity

Recently, a baseball autograph enthusiast put her hard work towards a greater good. Jane Bell is an 83-year-old Detroit Tigers fan and since the 1980s has fought through crowds and slipped into dugouts to expand her prized collection of autographed baseballs. She is now letting charity benefit from her efforts and is putting 136 of her autographed baseballs up for action and will give all proceeds to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Jane is planning to hold onto one particular baseball, personalized by Detroit Tigers pitcher Jack Morris in 1986. Morris wrote: "To Jane Bell, my best to you, to a loyal Tiger fan." Jane hopes that her baseballs will bring in $3,000-$5,000 for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. According to a local appraiser, Randall Paul, this is a reasonable goal and hopes she will reach it. Jane has been a Tigers season-ticket holder since 1984, and attends all 81 home games each year. According to Jane, it is through being a loyal fan t

Collecting as a matter of history

I have Reggie Jackson to thank for a recent personal epiphany. A few people before it was my turn to get an autograph last Saturday, a man had to wait as Reggie “Mr. October” Jackson put pepper on the sandwich he was eating. I snapped this cell phone picture of MLB Hall of Fame outfielder Reggie Jackson April 11 at a signing in the Twin Cities. I’d hoped to capture him signing my bat, but I failed and got him looking at me to silently ask where I wanted him to sign the bat. When it was my turn to get his autograph at the Sportsnews Production Show on April 11 at the Earl Brown Center in Brooklyn Center, I took out my phone to get a photo of the hall of fame outfielder known as Mr. October signing my bat. I looked up to see him staring at me and pointing at the bat with a look of “Where do you want me to sign this?” Without saying a word, he kept pointing until I picked