Skip to main content

Interest in Chicago Bulls memorabilia on the rise

Here is an interesting article about how interest in Bull's autographed memorabilia is on the rise!  Do any of you have signed Bulls memorabilia?  If not, do you have a favorite ball team that is the basis of your collection?  Tell me about it in the comments!

The Bulls market: Demand for, interest in memorabilia on the rise
Jason Azul could probably run a Bulls gift shop right out of his apartment.  Step inside his "man cave" in the South Loop, and you're greeted with Bulls pictures, jerseys, action figures, bobbleheads and even a doll.  "I've been embarrassed to have Derrick Rose sign it," said Azul, 27, of the 18-inch Derrick Rose doll that retails for around $300. "I tried to get my girlfriend to get him to. It's definitely a slippery slope. It might be a little embarrassing but you have to collect something. I could be into a lot worse things."

Azul is not alone.

With the Bulls the top seed in the East for consecutive years, Bulls collectibles are at a high. Rose has the best-selling jersey in the NBA and the Bulls led merchandise sales for the first time since 2001. It's not a stretch to see another golden age of collecting playing out as these Bulls chase a championship.
Bulls fans and their cool team memorabiliaAzul, a tax consultant, is a season ticket-holder (and has a girlfriend, he points out, before you make any "40-Year-Old Virgin" jokes) and has collected Bulls stuff since he was a kid. His collection has grown to the point where he estimates he's spending $1,000 a year on Bulls memorabilia.


While Azul's collection shows off his ultimate fandom, Marc Silverman's is much more personal.
Silverman, co-host of "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000, grew up in Skokie, has amassed three trunks full of newspapers, magazines and collages of mementos he made over the years, turning his home into a Bulls National Archives of sorts.

"I remember understanding at a young age what I was watching," said Silverman, 40, of Ukrainian Village. "My grandfather would always remind me about watching Michael Jordan was like watching Babe Ruth play for the Yankees. When I was older I wanted to be able to show all this stuff to my kids."

Jason Azul and Sarah Johnson with their Bulls memorabiliaAs a reporter, he started covering the Bulls the day Michael Jordan announced his return to basketball in 1995, giving him access to many things regular fans could only dream of getting their hands on. Besides the "I'm back" press release from Jordan's return, confetti from the floor of championships and champagne corks from locker rooms, he would get players like Steve Kerr and Luc Longley to leave messages on his answering machine, which he called "so geeky, but fun."

But the most unique things Silverman collected would appear to be a couple pieces of trash to the uninformed eye. However, they hold a direct link to one of the most storied events in NBA history: Jordan's 38-point "flu game" during the 1997 NBA Finals.

"In the locker room after the game, Jordan wasn't available," Silverman said. "But I remember walking by his empty locker and there were all those used power gels he must have been slurping down on before the game. So I grabbed them. The Bulls will probably be upset at me, but I took two or three of them."

Some collectors might be interested in how much their collection is worth in hopes of one day selling it, but Silverman said that's not even a consideration.  "It was more about chronicling my own history and my history with the Bulls," he said. "I always knew I was covering history. It was pretty incredible what I was getting to do."

Michael Daddio, 22, of Portage Park, is a different kind of Bulls collector. He focuses strictly on Air Jordan shoes, amassing more than 100 pairs—at up to $250 a pair—in his collection. He waited six hours outside Niketown on Michigan Avenue last Christmas for a pair. He's worn Jordans since childhood, he said, and his mom still has the pair that was the first shoes he walked in.  "It was something I was into as a kid. I always had new Jordans when they came out, but I didn't take care of them," Daddio said. "Now that I'm older I take care of them a lot more. I keep them all in their boxes in my closet. I wear them, some of them I keep for special occasions; some I haven't found for a special occasion yet."


Azul said he has a Jordan jersey he wants to get signed, which he said would be the "holy grail" of collectibles. While he has joked about selling his collection to put his kids through college, that's not a concern for years, so in the meantime he can't get enough Bulls stuff. 

"I have to have the latest bobblehead or shoe," Azul said. "I'm always looking to get my hands on it. It's become a drug."

To order your copy of Autograph Hell, please CLICK HERE
For more information about my Summit Murder Mystery series, please CLICK HERE

Source:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Preserve your Autographed Photo Collectables

I came across this article and thought it was a good one to share!  We all know that preserving your photos is very important!  What is the point of collecting autographs if the photos become faded and start to deteriorate in a few years because you don't handle them properly?  Take a look at these autograph preservation tips! 1. Acid free is the way to go - Whether you choose plastic bags, cardboard folders or frames to display your autographs, you need to make sure that the material you use is acid free. Standard bags, folders and frames are made with materials that release acids over time. These acids can make your photographs and other memorabilia fade and disintegrate. Make sure that the products that you buy to store your autographs is clearly labeled acid-free. If the package doesn't specify that, don't trust it with your photos. 2. Keep humidity low - Humidity causes moisture which can be devastating to paper products like photographs. To keep your a

Baseball Autograph Collector Gives to Charity

Recently, a baseball autograph enthusiast put her hard work towards a greater good. Jane Bell is an 83-year-old Detroit Tigers fan and since the 1980s has fought through crowds and slipped into dugouts to expand her prized collection of autographed baseballs. She is now letting charity benefit from her efforts and is putting 136 of her autographed baseballs up for action and will give all proceeds to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Jane is planning to hold onto one particular baseball, personalized by Detroit Tigers pitcher Jack Morris in 1986. Morris wrote: "To Jane Bell, my best to you, to a loyal Tiger fan." Jane hopes that her baseballs will bring in $3,000-$5,000 for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. According to a local appraiser, Randall Paul, this is a reasonable goal and hopes she will reach it. Jane has been a Tigers season-ticket holder since 1984, and attends all 81 home games each year. According to Jane, it is through being a loyal fan t

Collecting as a matter of history

I have Reggie Jackson to thank for a recent personal epiphany. A few people before it was my turn to get an autograph last Saturday, a man had to wait as Reggie “Mr. October” Jackson put pepper on the sandwich he was eating. I snapped this cell phone picture of MLB Hall of Fame outfielder Reggie Jackson April 11 at a signing in the Twin Cities. I’d hoped to capture him signing my bat, but I failed and got him looking at me to silently ask where I wanted him to sign the bat. When it was my turn to get his autograph at the Sportsnews Production Show on April 11 at the Earl Brown Center in Brooklyn Center, I took out my phone to get a photo of the hall of fame outfielder known as Mr. October signing my bat. I looked up to see him staring at me and pointing at the bat with a look of “Where do you want me to sign this?” Without saying a word, he kept pointing until I picked