Skip to main content

Is the selfie overtaking the autograph as must-have memorabilia?

My greatest brush with greatness came on April 12, 1987, while attending my first Chicago Bulls game. There was a special promotion where you could have your picture taken with your favorite player before the game. Of course, this is well before the team's championship years, when there was only one player with whom anyone wanted to have his picture taken -- Michael Jordan.

The Cliff's Notes version of the story has me waiting in line for two hours and thankfully getting shuffled into Jordan's line. The Polaroid photograph of a gangly 16-year-old me and His Airness sitting on a table on the baseline at the old Chicago Stadium is one of my most prized possessions. It would be one of the first things I would grab if my house caught fire.

In the wake of meeting my idol, all anyone asked was whether I got his autograph. Why in the world would I need Jordan's autograph? I had photographic evidence that I met him.

For some, collecting autographs of favorite athletes and actors is a hobby -- and it can also be big business. As a youngster, I never really got into collecting autographs. Interestingly enough, the first autograph I ever got was from Camp Point's Rick Reuschel when he appeared in a shoe store in downtown Galesburg in the late 1970s.

These days, it's easier than ever to connect with your favorite athletes and entertainment stars. You can follow them on Twitter and track them via their fan pages on Facebook. Sure, you can get the old-school autograph if you want, but more and more people are asking their favorites to stop and take selfies with them. What a great idea!

A selfie that Quincy's Jamie Ehrhart took with Sergio Garcia at the PGA Championship popped up on my Twitter feed earlier this week. I loathe Garcia for a number of reasons, but the photo of him and Ehrhart made me hate him a little less. Seeing the photo also got me to thinking: Is the selfie the new form of an autograph?

Ehrhart, a standout golfer at Quincy Notre Dame High School who now attends Saint Louis University, knows what she's doing when it comes to the selfie. Her Twitter feed includes selfies of her with Ricky Fowler, Jordan Spieth, Ben Crane, Henrik Stenson, Jason Day and Quincy's own Luke Guthrie. There are older shots of her with Rory McIlroy and Luke Donald.

Ehrhart has also collected autographs along the way. She couldn't decide which was better.
"That's a tough one," she said. "Sometimes they will sign but say they don't have time for a picture. I've been taking pictures with players since I was 9. I print them out and have them sign the picture the next time I go to a tournament."

Donald, who is Ehrhart's favorite golfer, eventually signed the photo she took with him, giving her the best of both worlds.

To me, the selfie is worth more than an autograph. Sure, a photo can easily be doctored with things like Photoshop, but what would possess anyone to fake a selfie with a star? I can see why someone might want to forge someone's signature because that autograph could be sold one day.

The next time I see Michael Jordan, I'll have to ask him to stop for a selfie. When I get it, I guess I'll have to grab my phone, too, in case of a fire.
Article source-- dobrien@whig.com/221-3370

To order my book Autograph Hell, please click HERE
For more information about my Summit Murder Mystery series, please CLICK HERE
Follow me on twitter, HERE
'Like' my Facebook page, HERE
Subscribe to my YouTube channel, HERE and HERE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Preserve your Autographed Photo Collectables

I came across this article and thought it was a good one to share!  We all know that preserving your photos is very important!  What is the point of collecting autographs if the photos become faded and start to deteriorate in a few years because you don't handle them properly?  Take a look at these autograph preservation tips! 1. Acid free is the way to go - Whether you choose plastic bags, cardboard folders or frames to display your autographs, you need to make sure that the material you use is acid free. Standard bags, folders and frames are made with materials that release acids over time. These acids can make your photographs and other memorabilia fade and disintegrate. Make sure that the products that you buy to store your autographs is clearly labeled acid-free. If the package doesn't specify that, don't trust it with your photos. 2. Keep humidity low - Humidity causes moisture which can be devastating to paper products like photographs. To keep your a

Baseball Autograph Collector Gives to Charity

Recently, a baseball autograph enthusiast put her hard work towards a greater good. Jane Bell is an 83-year-old Detroit Tigers fan and since the 1980s has fought through crowds and slipped into dugouts to expand her prized collection of autographed baseballs. She is now letting charity benefit from her efforts and is putting 136 of her autographed baseballs up for action and will give all proceeds to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Jane is planning to hold onto one particular baseball, personalized by Detroit Tigers pitcher Jack Morris in 1986. Morris wrote: "To Jane Bell, my best to you, to a loyal Tiger fan." Jane hopes that her baseballs will bring in $3,000-$5,000 for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. According to a local appraiser, Randall Paul, this is a reasonable goal and hopes she will reach it. Jane has been a Tigers season-ticket holder since 1984, and attends all 81 home games each year. According to Jane, it is through being a loyal fan t

Collecting as a matter of history

I have Reggie Jackson to thank for a recent personal epiphany. A few people before it was my turn to get an autograph last Saturday, a man had to wait as Reggie “Mr. October” Jackson put pepper on the sandwich he was eating. I snapped this cell phone picture of MLB Hall of Fame outfielder Reggie Jackson April 11 at a signing in the Twin Cities. I’d hoped to capture him signing my bat, but I failed and got him looking at me to silently ask where I wanted him to sign the bat. When it was my turn to get his autograph at the Sportsnews Production Show on April 11 at the Earl Brown Center in Brooklyn Center, I took out my phone to get a photo of the hall of fame outfielder known as Mr. October signing my bat. I looked up to see him staring at me and pointing at the bat with a look of “Where do you want me to sign this?” Without saying a word, he kept pointing until I picked